Stickybacks.uk

 stickyback photographs

 

 

only search www.stickybacks.uk


Home

Site news

Sub Carte-de-visite
Size Portraits

Definitions
and Descriptions

Smaller Sizes of
Portrait -
Photographers
in the UK

Smaller Sizes of
Portrait -
Photographers
Rest of the World

Smaller Sizes of
Portrait -
Photographers,
location not
currently known

Smaller Sizes of
Portrait -
Photographers
by name

Spiridione Grossi

Smaller Sizes of
Portrait -
Accessories
and artefacts

Relevant
Cameras

Related later genres

Stamp Photographs

Photo Booths

Polyfoto


Powered By Web Wiz Green Hosting

Stickybacks - Stella Marguerite Grossi (1884-1964)


Stella Marguerite Grossi b:1884 Liverpool, was the daughter of John Baptiste and Margaret Grossi and the younger sister of Spiridione Grossi (1877-1921). In the 1901 census Stella was living at the Grossi family home at 77 Paradise Street Liverpool and her occupation was shown as a typist. By 1911, Stella, still living at 77 Paradise Street, was a photographer and an employer.

The 1913 local directory listed Stella as a photographer at 57 Bold Street Liverpool. We do not know currently whether Stella's photographer brother, Spiridione Grossi, was involved in the business in any way. We do however know that Stella produced Sticky Back photographs, at least in 1914, possibly with the assistance of her brother. The Liverpool Echo, on Wednesday 09 December 1914 p6 contained an advertisement: "Man, middle aged, understanding bromide printing and developing 25/- and commission. Call Friday, Sticky Backs, 39 Grange Road West, Birkenhead". The 1914 Kelly's directory of Cheshire shows that 39 Grange Road West, Birkenhead, was occupied by photographer Stella Grossi.

Stella Marguerita V Grossi married William Henry Huish (1873-1933) in Q4 1929

William Henry Huish, whose occupation was shown in different Masonic lodges as a theatrical manager or theatre manager, was initiated into freemasonry in 1913 into the prestigious Lodge of King Solomon’s Temple, Chester, No 3464. He paid subscriptions to that lodge at least until 1921. In 1917 he was appointed an assistant organist of the lodge.http://lodgeofkingsolomonstemple3464.co.uk/1911-1913/Fifth-meeting/, which indicates that he had musical skills. He was raised to the Third Degree in Bohemian Lodge No 3294 at Birkenhead, where again he paid subscriptions until at least 1921. Bohemian Lodge No 3294 was a theatrical lodge, many of its members were from the acting profession and there was a strong connection with the The Argyle Theatre, Birkenhead. He also belonged to Randle Holme Lodge No 3261, Port Sunlight, which met in Birkenhead, from 1916 to 1921 and Claughton Lodge No 3915 Birkenhead from 1919 to at least 1921. This record suggests that William was an active and committed Freemason. Masonic records are not public after 1921.

The Era - Saturday 16 April 1910, reveals that W.H.Huish was then the manager of the newly opened Cinematograph Theatre on Merseyside ( P7. Cinematograph Theatre.— Manager, Mr. W. H. Huish.—The series of pictures shown here at this newly erected theatre, which opened its doors last Saturday, consists the Eruption of the Etna Volcano, Pals, His Last Burglary, Dancing Tabloids, Winter Sports in the Vosges Mountains, and Cowboy and Squaw. The attendance at all the performances has been extremely large, and warmly appreciated the excellent programme." The Era 4 June 1910 p7, "Cinematograph Theatre, Manager, Mr. W H. Huish - crowds continue to be attracted to see the pictures". Huish was a Liverpool delegate at a meeting of the Cinematograph Exhibitors Trade Union at their meeting in Birmingham in June 1917. (Era, 13 June 1917 p18). By Feb 1918 Huish had joined, then resigned from, the Union’s Executive. (The Era - Wednesday 06 February 1918 P23).

William Huish was listed as a photographer in local trade directories at 173 Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool from 1929 to 1933. The electoral rolls for Morecambe of 1930 and 1931 list William and Stella Huish as residing at number 2 Northumberland Street Morecambe. It also states that Stella’s abode was 173 Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool.

William Henry Huish of 173 Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool, died at the Freemason’s Hospital, London, on 25 Feb 1933. Probate was granted 26/05/1933 to William John Norman Wheeler, Solicitor's Clerk, and John Parkinson, master electrician, his estate was valued at £401.9.10.

Stella Huish set up a studio at 4 Northumberland Street, Morecambe, and by 1946 the studio manager there was William Oliver, b: 10/5/1909 (Lancaster Guardian of 9th August 1946). Stella Huish and William Oliver were living at the same address, 5 Walton Avenue, Morecambe, according to the 1939 Register.

Stella M Huish died in Lancashire in December 1964.

Top of page

 

www.stickybacks.uk is a non-commercial web site for local and family historians, exploring smaller sized portrait photographs and those who worked in this trade.
This page was last modified: 11 April 2019, 12:37

contact us

This site is powered by Web Wiz Green Hosting. We have been using their services for many years and are more than happy to recommend them to you.